everydayjam

everydayjam

War Brides - Helen Bryan Interesting, if thin, story. I never really felt the bonds between the women - why did they care about one another, beyond that fact that they were all stuck in the same little town during the war? Or, did they, really, care about one another? Maybe it was all just proximity and convenience, I couldn't tell. The strengths of the book, to my mind, lie more in the historical details than in the story, itself. The idea of a street urchin counterfeiter becoming a Lord because his talents were useful during the war, and then turned to good use after; the "Auxi" service; the continental connections between the upper classes and their Continental counterparts leading to...divisions of loyalty; the machinations of trying to get Jewish children safely out of Nazi hands - those things were all fascinating. The story, itself, less so. And, while I understand that the mystery of Frances was, naturally, sudden and inexplicable, it didn't really require such a rushed and cliched ending.