everydayjam

everydayjam

Far from the Tree: Parents, Children, and the Search for Identity - Andrew Solomon I had resisted getting this book, because the subject matter sounded too...prurient, I guess. After reading someone else's review, I was intrigued, though, and decided to give it a try. I'm so glad I did! Though the subject(s) of the book are delicate, Solomon treats them with such delicacy and compassion - but also with clear-eyed honesty - that he quickly overcame my reservations. It seems to me so difficult for someone who is not a member of a particular community, especially one that is popularly consider to be based on a disability, to speak of that identity without being either offensive or pandering, yet Solomon appears to weave his way between that particular Scylla and Charybdis with amazing grace. I ended each section feeling, myself, imbued with a bit of the understanding and compassion he displayed but, like him, not feeling that "I understand" something I have never experienced, or believing that my compassion is either needed or desired.

Its truly an amazing book. Not an easy read, either in length or content, but well worth both the time and the dedication it requires. It is truly a book about humanity, both as an attribute and as a condition.