everydayjam

everydayjam

The Informationist - Taylor Stevens I started out thinking I wasn't going to like this novel, but ended up really enjoying it. In the first few pages, there were several bits of language that seemed really clunky and poorly written, and I was about to decide I didn't want to bother trying to read something with such distractingly poor writing,when....the story reached out and grabbed me. I don't know if the technical aspects of the book got better, or whether my mind was just swept away and stopped noticing.

In some ways, the story is the standard spy/suspense plot: Gorgeous/handsome person overcomes tragic background, trains hard, and becomes a super-skilled, super-stealthy, super-deadly, Superhero(ine). It hits all the checkpoints, from genius IQ to physical perfection to incomparable skills at martial arts. Robert Ludlum updated for the 20-teens. And yet, somehow, it captured my fancy, and I was able to overlook all that. I think it was the fact that the author spent considerable time (for this type of book) on letting the reader know how the protagonist got to be the person she had become, and why. Not with pathos - I never really felt sorry for the character despite her having undergone horrific experiences - but with a sense of "Yeah, that happened, and I've dealt with it." Kind of refreshing!

So, not a great book (in my opinion) but an enjoyable read, and I will have an eye out for future entries in the Vanessa Michael Munroe series. I like it -- a solid three-stars.