everydayjam

everydayjam

Among the Missing - Morag Joss This was a tough one. On the plus side, the writer really nailed the creeping horror of guilt and madness. On the other hand, the writer really nailed the creeping horror of guilt and madness, and it made me really uncomfortable. It gave me mood swings: One minute, I wanted to put the book down and stop reading it, because it was so disturbing, and the next minute, I couldn't put it down, because I had to know what happened, next.

The characters were insidiously powerful and well-written, but I mostly didn't like them and occasionally had trouble understanding them. (Just like real people, now that I think of it.) They made me consider how different other people might be, from me, and also how unfounded are my assumptions about how I would handle being in a particular situation. Would I *really* handle it any better than Anabel, or Silva, or Ron, if I were in their shoes? I'd like to think I would, but....would I?

I can't say I enjoyed the book (hence, the three stars) but it was powerful, and I think it will stick with me for awhile (possibly in the form of nightmares.)

Also: Ambiguous endings suck.