everydayjam

everydayjam

1Q84 - Jay Rubin, Philip Gabriel, Haruki Murakami This was a tough one, in many ways. First, it was really long, but simultaneously slow-moving. Almost deliberately so, I suspect. I spent way more time than usual mentally growling, "Would you just shut the hell up and DO something!?!1!" The main pair of characters were so passive, it was painful, at times. They were determined to find one another, but neither one of them made ANY effort, whatsoever, to actually look for the other. Oh, I take that back: he wandered around the neighborhood, looking for her, and she sat on her condo balcony, looking for him. Gah! But, this is typical Murakami, isn't it? For all of my frustration, I found myself rooting for Tengo and Aomame. In fact, that was at the root of my frustration, I think -- that I wanted them to get together, and their dilly-dallying was getting in the way of that.

The supernatural aspects of the story were...meh. The stuff about the Little People never quite jelled, for me. Not enough was revealed for me to feel like that was really part of the story, and not just a (rather silly) plot device to keep the main characters apart.