everydayjam

everydayjam

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline This one was fun! It was interesting, reading Ready Player One and Reamde, back-to-back. In some ways, RP1 is the book that many people were probably expecting Reamde to be.

Like Reamde, Ready Player One takes place in the context of an MMORPG gone global. Unlike Reamde, the action in RP1 actually takes place IN the game-world, for the most part. This does not, necessarily, make RP1 better than Reamde, but it does speak to one of the complaints I've read about Stephenson's book - that the hype and cover text would leave one to believe that the story is about the game, when really, its not. Personally, I wasn't bothered by that fact, and enjoyed Reamde very much, but I'm not everyone. If you are, and you were disappointed to in the lack of alternate-worldishness of Reamde, Ready Player One might be just the ticket.

For my money, while I really enjoyed both titles, I very much prefer Stephenson's style (and wordiness!) I really wish I could remix these two, and have Stephenson write Cline's story in his signature style. Now, THAT would be a stunner!